Cocktail experiments, drink reviews and stories from the bar. I'm not a professional or an expert - just an enthusiastic amateur.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

At the beginning.


(left to right) Earl Grey vodka, Cucumber Vodka, Rooibos gin.


Inaugural post. Inaugural experiment.

This was my first attempt at infusing liquor with stuff from my kitchen. My roommate and I are both tea afficionados, and I was inspired, in part by a chamomile vodka blend from High Wire Lounge here in Athens. It was heavenly mixed up with Fever Tree tonic and a splash of orange juice.

For the tea infusions, I covered the bottom of the little 8 oz jar in loose tea and filled the rest with booze. No precise measurement, just winging it for the moment. The cucumber infusion got 5 or 6 mandoline slices of cuke and the same treatment. I let them steep in the fridge for a week, which may have been about 6 days too long, but they're all palatable.

The earl grey infusion tastes very strongly, but pleasantly of bergamot. The cucumber is light and refreshing, but the rooibos gin runs a little bitter. Mixed in a cocktail with some citrus or sweetness might help that.

No comments:

Post a Comment